Tuesday, September 7, 2010

History is the Opiate of the Masses

Voltaire may have pretty hair, but he was wrong!

Joseph Cropsey, an emeritus professor at the University of Chicago, states that history not religion is the opiate of the masses. When I first heard this as a senior history major at Butler University, I thought he must be crazy. Throughout high school and college, I was taught that the Enlightenment had saved us from the opiate of religion, not history. Voltaire and his Enlightenment cronies had freed us from the cult of the Virgin Mary and religious superstition. Religion and God were for the weak and reason will free us from despotic kings and the bondage of religious tyranny.

After class I went back to my dorm room and lied on my bed thinking. On a cool autumn day, I began thinking of Hitler and Stalin. Both didn't use God or religion to brain wash people to commit atrocities, instead they used "bad" history to justify their actions.  The point of this blog publicize the "bad" history that politicians, the news media and special interest groups use to manipulate us. I hope you will join me for this exciting journey in discovering the truth about the past.

1 comment:

Kind, thoughtful and intelligent comments are welcome! Debate is welcomed, but harsh, judgmental comment are not.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Share |